, from acclaimed director, Michael Apted, tells the inspiring story of how one man's passion and perseverance changed the world. Based on the true-life story of William Wilberforce (Ioan Gruffudd), a leader of the British abolition movement, the film chronicles his epic struggle to pass a law to end the slave trade in the late 18th century. Along the way, Wilberforce meets intense opposition from members of Parliament who feel the slave trade is tied to the stability of the British Empire. Several friends, including Wilberforce's minister, John Newton (Finney), a reformed slave ship captain who penned the beloved hymn Amazing Grace
, urge him to see the cause through.
Also starring Romola Garai, Ciaran Hinds, Rufuss Sewell, Youssou N'Dour and Michael Gambon.
Rated PG for thematic material involving slavery and some mild language. Approx. 118 Minutes.
DVD Special Features:
• Widescreen, Closed Captioned
• English, Spanish and French Subtitles
• Audio Commentary with Director Michael Apted and Ioan Gruffudd
• How Sweet the Sound: The Story of Amazing Grace
• Finding Freedom: A tour of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
• Interactive Discussion Tools and Study Guides
• Music video of Grammy Nominee Chris Tomlin's version of Amazing Grace