Even today, we hear the voices of the early Church Fathers. Their teachings, their guidance, their incredible insights, and their sacrifice shaped the Catholic Church. They defined the canon of Scripture. They developed our creeds and forms of worship. They defined Christianity's distinctive moral sense.
But who were they? What can we learn from their ancient teachings? What can the Fathers teach the 21st century - about holiness, culture, faith, and the Gospel?
This is the definitive resource for anyone interested in learning about the Church Fathers and their legacy. Ideal for RCIA, catechists, clergy, as well as lay Catholics who want to learn more about the great teachers of early Christianity.
In this extensively updated Third Edition, you'll find:
- New! Twenty Church Fathers never before covered in this series
- Nearly 75 more pages of information on the early Church!
- New! Many poets of ancient Christianity, whose hymns we still sing today.
- An extensively revised introduction
- The Mothers of the Church and their impact
- Research-friendly references and citations, topical index, timeline, and detailed bibliography