Christ knew that the splendor of heaven is too great for us to bear just now, and so he used parables as clues to the mystery of paradise. In them are hints of heaven, and they offer profound spiritual advice meant to guide us on the road to eternal glory.
In our age, Christ's Parables are often reduced to exercises in moralism. In these pages, Fr. George Rutler - acclaimed author and EWTN television host - unveils these deceptively simple stories, showing you their hidden meanings and how they apply to our own age and way of life.
Let Fr. Rutler take you on an enriching tour of Scripture's 24 parables as you learn:
- Tares in the Field of the Lord: Why it's necessary that scandals beset the Church - and how it brings about a stronger harvest.
- The Mustard Seed: Why it gave hope to the early Church and prefigures her glorious future.
- The Yeast: How God speaks in a gentle and inward voice which melts the soul, and how you could be drowning Him out.
- The Hidden Treasure: Are you responding properly to the unique gifts Christ has given you?
- The Net: Many will be sifted out. How to be sure you're among the souls He keeps.
- The Unmerciful Servant: Not only must you forgive, you must convert the offender. Are you a channel for God's grace?
- Laborers in the Vineyard: Are you letting selfishness and pride get in the way of the salvation of your neighbor's soul?
- The Two Sons: The dangers of agnosticism. Are you guilty? You may be astonished at the answer.
- The Marriage of the King's Son: Why frequent reception of the sacraments is necessary for dwelling at the wedding feast.
- The Ten Virgins: There's a difference between watching and being prepared for Christ's return. Are you ready?
- The Ten Talents: God has given you a special gift. Do you know what it is, and how you should use it?
- The Two Debtors: How to know if you are going "through the motions" without Christ's love.
- The Good Samaritan: Do you know the most overlooked element of this parable? It may surprise you.
- The Rich Fool: Our capacity for self-deception is limitless. Learn the only way to be truly know yourself.
- The Barren Fig Tree: Time is running out, and we have one last chance to cultivate virtue. Will you bear fruit in time?
- The Great Supper: There's room for all in the heavenly banquet, but not all will find room. Are you making excuses that lead you into isolation?
- The Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin: Do you judge others, or do you receive them as Christ did? Why your approach to lost sheep could cost you your soul.
- The Prodigal Son: Learn how this famous parable explains why God created mankind and chose to give Himself to us.
- The Unjust Steward: The world is filled with evildoers. Are you mirroring the light of Christ?
- The Rich Man and Lazarus: Learn the evils of self-sufficiency, and the dangers of taking gifts for granted.
- The Unjust Judge: Why you must persevere in prayer despite your continued sins.
- The Pharisee and the Publican: Why even though you may not commit great sins, your failure to put faith into action could ruin your soul.
"Fr. Rutler uncovers for us the light of Christ's parables."
Fr. James V. Schall, S. J.