From substantial breads to juicy stews to delectable omelets and sweets, award-winning chef and former Vatican Swiss Guard David Geisser returns with 75 new international recipes inspired by the penitential season of Lent. Chef Geisser offers a distinctly Catholic way of enjoying the Lenten season in your house each year, with everything from delectable soups and salads to zesty curries and creamy smoothies.
This first-ever cookbook for Lent mealtimes comprises writings by noted biblical scholar Scott Hahn, who comments on the history of fasting and its vital significance in our personal spiritual growth. Hahn shows you how to follow a holy Lent that will allow you to refocus your attention on Christ, as well as how to transfer the unique and wonderful delights of Lent into the rest of the year. You'll also learn about neglected Catholic traditions and ageless practices like St. Martin's Lent, Ember Days, and Rogation Days, as well as how you might apply these time-honored periods of grace to your spiritual life today.
Here’s a culinary masterpiece that is a must-have for any Catholic and an ideal gift for a loved one’s kitchen or coffee table. It also includes:
- Scores of meatless dishes that are both simple and savory
- Nearly 50 pages of exclusive content from Scott Hahn on the Lenten season
- Over a dozen meals ideally suited for those pursuing a rigorous Lent
- Several variations on the traditional Lenten hot-cross bun recipe
- Inspiring Scripture verses and quotes from the saints to keep you on track this Lent.