Dr. Ray Guarendi points us to the foundation of all effective counselling: the words of the Redeemer.
Dr. Ray Guarendi of EWTN, widely considered as America's foremost Catholic psychologist and family counsellor, explains the basics of Christian psychology in his inimitable down-to-earth approach.
He shows us that Jesus's insights were two millennia ahead of what psychology is only now beginning to understand. In other teachings, Christ explicitly opposes some of what is taught in today's psychology. Dr. Ray examines the teachings of both modern psychology and the Son of God in these pages to determine which therapy tools are worth using — and which we should avoid. Most importantly, he teaches us that every tool and counselling strategy worth pursuing can be traced back to Christ's words.
Jesus has a much better understanding of our innermost desires than we have, and He knows the blessings and long-term rewards we will receive for following Him. Indeed, we can hold conviction that with Christ's teaching comes reassurance and peace of mind in addressing any interior or outward challenge, when we are equipped with the right skillsets to face everyday life through its ups and downs.
Dr. Guarendi's experience as a father of 10 children, as well as his knowledge of the New Testament, enable him to offer helpful suggestions on a variety of topics, including:
- How to overcome jealousy and other passions
- What it means — and doesn’t mean — to turn the other cheek
- How to turn negativity into a harnessed virtue — without changing your nature
- How to transform your natural qualities into supernatural qualities
- The benefits of having problem children
- How to improve your self-awareness
- What the old adage “know thyself” really means
- How Jesus turns self-esteem mantras on their heads