Praying Scripture for a Change: An Introduction to Lectio Divina Book & Workbook
This item will earn 26 loyalty reward points. Learn about loyalty points >
|10-19||CAD $24.79 (8% off)|
|20-39||CAD $23.72 (12% off)|
|40-99||CAD $22.64 (16% off)|
|100+||CAD $21.56 (20% off)|
"When we pray, we talk to God; when we read Scripture, God speaks to us," St. Augustine observes. Learning the language of Christianity is the key to enhancing our prayer, and the most efficient approach to acquire the language of Christianity is an old technique called as Lectio Divina ("divine reading"). Dr. Tim Gray, a Catholic theologian and biblical scholar, leads the reader through the Bible and the wisdom of the saints to uncover the practical steps of this magnificent gift of our Tradition in this concise book. Learning the simple stages of Lectio Divina will offer you with a practical and efficient technique to improve your prayer life by utilising the power of God's Word.
- The Language of Christian Prayer.
- How God speaks directly to each of us in His Word.
- How to overcome the biggest obstacles to a regular and fruitful prayer life.
- Why the four-fold method of Lectio Divina is like the four rungs of a ladder, which if ascended one rung at a time in the proper order, lead us directly into the heart of contemplative prayer.
- Strategies for reading - and praying - the Bible fruitfully.
- What Christian meditation is and how it differs from non-Christian approaches.
- How everyone - not just saints and mystics - can truly practice contemplative prayer.
The study guide Praying Scripture for a Change: An Introduction to Lectio Divina by Dr. Tim Gray is designed to help the reader increase the fruitful harvest of this wonderful short book.
Each chapter of this study guide has three parts.
1) Each chapter opens with a story from the life of a particular saint, as an example of how they heard God speak to them in their meditation and prayer and allowed His Word to infuse their life and work. The saints personally experienced Scripture as the "living and abiding word of God" (Pt 1:23). It was a fresh spring from which they drank freely, allowing the Word to flow deep into their hearts and their lives, and finally out to the world around them, through their "Scripture-soaked" deeds. Each story is also an encouragement to each of us, inspiring us to allow God's Word to be active in our own lives as well.
2) The central part of each chapter is a Study Questions section. These questions are meant to help the reader of Praying Scripture for a Change to think through the material in a deeper way. Along with various discussion questions to reinforce the book's material, Scripture texts are provided to illustrate some of the reading strategies that Tim Gray outlines, as well as Scripture passages on which readers can practice lectio divina.
3) Each chapter closes with a Personal Reflection, a quote from the Catechism or the Pope, followed by several questions and/or a prayer. The goal of any book on prayer is not just to present us with new information about prayer, but to help our prayer life grow more fruitful by giving us ways to apply what we have learned.
"Whoever reads this wonderful little book will put to rest any thoughts that lectio divina is only for mystics, saints or scholars. Tim Gray shows in clear, practical steps how anyone who desires to can learn to read Scripture in conversation with the living God. This book shows the wisdom that can only come from long personal experience in praying with Scripture and teaching others to do so. I highly recommend it."
Dr. Mary Healy
Professor of Scripture
Sacred Heart Major Seminary
"Dr. Tim Gray has done us all an invaluable service by making the riches of Lectio Divina available to the ordinary reader of Scripture. He is a master vintner who squeezes the grapes of the sacred page and helps us drink of the rich wine of God's revelation."
Mark P. Shea
Author: Mary, Mother of the Son
Imagine feeling at peace during prayer, because you've learned to listen to God and understand the key to overcoming distractions.
Imagine developing a style of prayer most comfortable to you, confident because you have a firm foundation in the theological principles of prayer.
Imagine feeling you've made a genuine advance in your spiritual life this Lent and Easter season.
Imagine (maybe) helping to save the souls of your lost and fallen away family members by being able to explain prayer in a way that's real and meaningful.
We’ve included a link to the study's page below on our website so you can browse (and maybe buy if you’re interested.)
If you'd like to preview Oremus for free, you can. Simply create an Ascension account and go to "Preview A Study" (That's in the link below too).
We're really very excited to share this opportunity to deepen your prayer life with you. It has helped so many people already, and we're confident it will help you too.
Product Code PSCWB_Book
Customers who bought this item also bought