The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit: Every Spiritual Warrior's Guide to God's Invincible Gifts by Dr. Kevin Vost
Many of us fail to recognize that obtaining the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential to getting to heaven. We often block their reception through our own faults. We fail to see how they are passed on or strengthened in the sacraments. And, sadly, we forget to petition God in prayer to bestow these gifts upon us.
In these pages, Dr. Kevin Vost — best-selling author of The One-Minute Aquinas
— provides us with a substantive yet readable introduction to the seven gifts and how we can humbly submit our wills to the stirrings of the Holy Spirit.
As Dr. Vost explains, these God-given gifts help us to conform our lives to His image, intellect and will. They prevent us from being drawn into frustration – and possibly self-destruction – by following our own sensual appetites. Indeed, the gifts of the Holy Spirit are the only path to being fully happy on earth and in the life to come.
With St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Bonaventure as his guides, Dr. Vost introduces you to the special charism of the Holy Spirit before explaining each gift one by one. You’ll discover the special meaning behind each of the natural and theological virtues, and you’ll learn the indispensible link between the seven gifts and the Beatitudes. You’ll also learn:
- How the seven gifts differ from the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
- The three ways to perfect fear of the Lord.
- The one sacrament that helps you fortify fortitude – it’s not the one you think.
- How the gift of knowledge differs from the gift of understanding.
- The seven steps to unwrapping – and sharing – each of the Holy Spirit’s gifts.
- The greatest of the seven gifts – and why you must possess it to attain heaven.
- Are the seven gifts habits we must develop, or does the Holy Spirit instill the habits in us?
Don’t let another year go by without unwrapping and enjoying the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Read this book, and then accept the seven gifts the Holy Spirit so desperately wants to give you.
Paperback, 208 pages.
True Devotion to the Holy Spirit by Archbishop Luis M. Martinez
Huge in scope, yet simple and readable, True Devotion to the Holy Spirit covers virtually everything there is to know about the Spirit's role in our salvation — and it does so with a refreshing reliance on God's Word, not on opinions or subjective visions.
Luis M. Martinez, the former Archbishop of Mexico City, maintains that as the Spirit is God's supreme gift, so your devotion to Him should be profound and encompassing. In beautiful, practical terms, Martinez illuminates the difference the Spirit can make when He's given His proper place in your soul. This handbook explains how you should respond to the Spirit, how the Spirit helps you grow in virtue, and the characteristics of true love of the Spirit.
Even more, each of the Spirit's gifts and fruits get detailed treatment here. Martinez shows how each contributes to the maturing of the soul, so that by means of the Spirit's active help, you can conquer your sins, learn how to make proper use of the things of this world, become master of yourself, and fully realize the greatness that is available to you as a Christian. This is an essential guide for everyone who longs to know and to love the Holy Spirit more fully.
You'll learn virtually everything we can know about the Holy Spirit's work in the world and in your soul, including:
- Why you will never attain true holiness without the Holy Spirit's constant help
- How the Holy Spirit tenderly teaches you all that you need for salvation Inspirations of the Holy Spirit: they're not extraordinary and superfluous in the spiritual life! How to become attuned to them
- How the Holy Spirit teaches you not just to know and love God, but to enjoy Him
- Maturity in Christ: it doesn't happen automatically as you grow older. How the Holy Spirit can help you gain it today
- The virtues and the gifts of the Holy Spirit: the distinctive role of each in your salvation
- Consecration to the Holy Spirit: why it must be total — or it's useless
- How the presence of the Spirit in your life will increase your faith, hope, and love
- Three main characteristics of devotion to the Father, inspired by the Spirit: examine your soul in their light
- The Cross: how and why the Holy Spirit will teach you to love it in your own life
- The gifts of the Holy Spirit: how to understand them properly — and gain their help in your soul's perfectiPaperbcon
And much more that will help you not only to know the Holy Spirit better than ever, but to gain His help in your salvation!
Paperback, 288 pages.