INTRODUCTION TO THE SPIRITUAL LIFE
A powerful exploration of the biblical foundations, contemplative practices, and spiritual path of Jesus himself—from the bestselling author of The Case for Jesus.
The path of following Jesus is an ancient and storied spiritual tradition. Yet many believers are not familiar with the scriptural roots of vocal prayer, meditation, and contemplation, and the three stages of spiritual growth (purgative, illuminative, unitive) that exist to bring them closer to God.
In his most personal book yet, Dr. Brant Pitre draws on the riches of the Bible, the words of Jesus, and the writings of mystics across the centuries to shed light on the mystery of the spiritual life.
Starting with the age-old belief that the path of prayer involves a process of spiritual growth, Dr. Pitre explores:
• Three forms of prayer: vocal, meditative, and contemplative
• Three spiritual exercises: prayer, fasting, and almsgiving
• The Jewish roots of the Lord’s Prayer
• Lectio Divina: how to pray with the Bible
• Seven vices and their seven opposing virtues
• The battle of prayer: how to deal with difficulty and distractions
• The “dark night” of the soul in Scripture
Full of scriptural truths, contemplative insights, and practical steps, Introduction to the Spiritual Life is a veritable biblical roadmap of the spiritual landscape that enables us to follow Jesus as our primary guide.
Hardcover. 352 pages.