How did a chain-smoking socialist, an adolescent video gamer, an opium addict, a demonic high priest, a handicapped beggar, and a self-centered cruel girl become saints?
Meg Hunter-Kilmer, a popular itinerant missionary, will challenge your preconceived views of holiness by delving into the lesser-known lives of seventy-five outstanding persons whose human difficulties and limitations demonstrate the power of God's love.
Pray for Us is not your average saint book: Hunter-Kilmer focuses on the sufferings, hardships, and eccentricities of shattered people who have turned their life around and dedicated themselves to God and his cause. She explores the universal call to holiness and how God can change anyone—from grumpy theologians to bratty teenagers—into saints through these edgy profiles, packed of fresh and compelling stories. You'll learn that if you put your trust in the Lord, anyone—even you—can become a saint.
Among those you will meet are
- Blessed Carlo Acutis, an ordinary Italian teen who enjoyed video games and loved the Eucharist but refused to waste time on things that weren’t pleasing to God.
- Blessed Sara Salkahazi, a chain-smoking socialist and wild-child from an upper-class Hungarian family who exposed the plight of the working class and smuggled Jewish people to safety during World War II.
- Blessed Victoire Rasoamanarivo, a married woman who defied the opposition of her difficult family to lead the Church in Madagascar.
- St. Dulce Pontes, the daughter of a wealthy family in Brazil who decided to serve the poor by becoming a nun and teaching literacy to children and their parents in the slums.
- Blessed Bartolo Longo, a satanic priest who returned to the Church, worked to bring people back to Christ, founded schools for the poor, established orphanages, and created Rosary groups.
- St. Mark Ji Tianxiang, a Christian opium addict who never got clean but still had the courage to die a martyr’s death for his beliefs during the Boxer Rebellion in China.
- Hunter-Kilmer presents the unvarnished lives of the saints and holy people in a way that reveals the power of God’s grace in their lives. Their stories—and especially their brokenness—are relatable to us all.
An extensive index that includes names, feast days, and patronages will help you find the inspiration you are looking for in the lives of these holy people.