Written by Cheryl Lowe (author of the best-selling Latina Christiana), First Form and its sister Latin products have been used by more than 100,000 students across the world to learn Latin! First Form’s grammar-first approach focuses on grammar forms and vocabulary because these are the skills suitable for the grammar stage student. All beginners—regardless of age—are in the grammar stage of learning. Syntax (how to use the grammar) and translation are logic and rhetoric stage skills, respectively, and quickly overwhelm the student unless introduced at a slow, gentle pace and taught for mastery. First Form is the ideal text for all beginners, grades 5 & up, or is a great follow-up to Latina Christiana at any age. Now every school and homeschool can have a truly successful Latin program that creates Latin scholars instead of Latin drop-outs.
Based on twenty years of teaching experience, this revolutionary “grammar-first” series will be your guide as you and your students successfully climb the mountain of Latin Grammar all the way to the top! The uniqueness of the Forms Series lies in two features: (1) Commitment to the trivium model of teaching grammar systematically in order to facilitate retention and understanding, rather than topically, to facilitate translation; and (2) Extensive workbook exercises to ensure skills mastery and rapid recognition of inflected forms.
This First Form Latin Complete Set includes the following eight items:
- An 9×7.5 inch Student Text, which is small, concise, and unintimidating with 34 two-page lessons on facing, uncluttered pages.
- An everything-you-could-possibly-need Teacher Manual that includes Student Text inset with answers in color, “Chalk Talk” scripted lessons, recitation schedule, extensive teaching notes, and an “FYI” (For Your Information) section for extra background.
- A full-size Student Workbook with 4-6 pages of exercises per lesson. These exercises teach concepts through practice and mastery learning.
- A Quizzes & Tests booklet with reproducible weekly quizzes and unit tests that ensure material is being mastered.
- A Teacher Key (for Workbook, Quizzes, & Tests) with answers to the workbook and quizzes/tests.
- A Pronunciation CD that includes all vocabulary and grammar forms for each lesson.
- Flashcards for the vocabulary, Latin sayings, and grammar forms.
- DVDs (3 discs, 9 hours, 15-20 minutes/lesson) with superb explanations by former Highlands Latin School teacher Jessica Watson. The DVDs also include helpful on-screen notes, illustrations, diagrams, recitations, and more!
After finishing First Form, the student will have mastered:
- The six indicative active tenses of the first two verb conjugations
- Five noun declensions
- First and second declension adjectives
- 185 vocabulary words